In the 1950s the Union Oil Company started conducting oil exploration in Costa Rica. This leads to the creation of geologic branch within the government so that the exploration could be oversaw.
In 1967 the the geology major was created at the UCR and from then on Costa Rica was able to produce it’s own professionals in the field.
At the CGCR the scope of its field of activity includes:
- Geochemistry and petrography
- Mineral determinations
- Prospecting and evaluation mineralized areas
- Prospecting and evaluation of underground water
- Geological surveys for roads, damns and other civil infrastructure
- Geophysic surveys
- Tunneling control and drilling for geologic, mining and oil surveys
One area of development for geologist is environmental consulting and natural hazard management.